Monday, January 1, 2024

The Last Leaves To Fall

 

The Last Leaves To Fall

6x6, gouache and pastel


My ability to keep a poinsettia alive is nonexistent. I admire them, but I don’t try and keep them as a live plant throughout the year.  So, today’s painting was an experiment using the last leaves to dry up and drop off. The substrate I used is a canvas board and the underpainting is gouache with each subsequent layer applied in soft pastel.  The soft pastel layers were sprayed with fixative (true to form, each layer of fixative darkened the pastel pigment (which I really don’t like). So, the final top layer is fresh soft pastel unfixed by fixative.  Once again confirming to myself, I simply don’t like to use fixatives.  However, I do like the end result of this one.  Have a joyful New Years Day! Today is day 1 of my very own 30in30. For me, 2024 will be the year of no rules…just paint!  I’m already breathing a bit easier 😂

1 comment: