Friday, January 1, 2016

Fly 2 - Brown Sugar


The Brown Sugar 
5x7, soft pastel


Day 2 is an original fly by Monte Smith, Northwest Fly Tyer.  The Brown Sugar is a classic style hair wing with a silhouette found on many traditional steelhead flies.  The wing is actually made of raccoon fur.  While the Atlantic salmon flies are pretty vibrant and colorful (as you may have noticed in yesterday's post), the steelhead fish out West are attracted to more subdued colors (maybe our native bugs out West are a bit more drab).  In any event, I do love the touches of orange!

5 comments:

  1. Saw this on the 30 in 30 blog. Wow, just amazing! I love how you capture the texture. Looking forward to following along.

    ~Monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also saw on 30/30. Great subject, can't wait to see all 30 in the collage. I think we will all learn a lot about flys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm learning so much about flies my head hurts! Hope you enjoy Cris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an interesting subject. I know nothing about it, but am loving all the colors!

    ReplyDelete