Friday, March 31, 2017

The Torn Hat...43 yrs. later

It only took 43 yrs. to finally get around to putting a coat of varnish on this little guy.  This painting holds a special place in my heart.  It's not particularly well done but it was my first attempt at painting during a semester of art classes as a senior in high school....some, 43 years ago.  Holy cow, where did the time go??  

This painting is a stab at replicating the American artist Thomas Sully's painting of his nine year old son and for me represents the love of a child and the innocence in us all. The original The Torn Hat (1820) resides in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.  Someday, I'll visit there and check it off my bucket list!  I chose this painting because of the wonderful light streaming through the torn hat and the pinkish glow of his cheek.  It is a painting that I may have to take another stab at sometime soon...just for fun.

My mother, bless her heart, always had this painting hanging somewhere in her house.  I'm thankful she held onto it.  Since her passing last Aug. I've often looked at this painting hanging in my studio and thought of her...and her solid devotion to her children.  She spent her entire life caring for us.  Even as we entered our own retirement years.  She was spunky, set in her ways and hard working.  She devoted her life to her children and never lost sight of the importance of each family member.  In her honor, I felt I should care a bit more for this painting.  So I carefully took it down, unframed it and varnished it for the first time.  It's now back on the wall watching over the studio reminding me of my mother and the great love a parent has for his or her own child.  


2 comments:

  1. Cindy, it's a lovely painting and a touching tribute. What a wonderful a start to your career, and a wonderful reminder of your Mother's love. Thank you for sharing both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise! I'm glad you enjoyed my memory along with me.

      Delete